6 oz. Half and Half
2 ea. Egg yolks
2 tsp. Cornstarch
2 tsp. Salt, kosher
1 tsp. Sugar
1 tsp. Mustard, dry
¼ tsp. White pepper, ground
2 oz. Vinegar, white wine
8 oz. Mascarpone cheese
4 oz. Heavy Cream
1 ea. Cucumber, seedless
1 ea. Jicama, medium size
1 ea. Daikon radish
3 heads Lettuce, Boston
1 ea. Red Pepper, sweet
1. Scald the half and half in small (1pt.) sauce pan. Remove from heat and keep warm.
2. Combine the cornstarch, salt, pepper, mustard and vinegar in a stainless steel bowl and whisk together until smooth.
3. Place half and half back on the heat, when hot add the cornstarch mixture to the half and half. Whisking constantly, cook about 3-5 minutes until mixture is thickened and removes the cornstarch taste and grainy texture.
4. Add egg yolks to a stainless steel bowl and ladle 2 oz. of hot sauce to the yolks. Temper and whisk yolks until smooth. Add yolk mixture back into the hot sauce. Place back onto heat and cook for 2 minutes. Do not allow to boil or the sauce with curdle.
5. Add the mascarpone cheese over low heat and allow the cheese to melt.
6. Adjust thickness with heavy cream, the sauce should be the consistency and viscosity of a light mayonnaise.
7. Strain, adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, cool and refrigerate. Dressing can be kept refrigerated 3-5 days.
1. Wash cucumbers and slice into ¼ “ rounds
2. Peel the jicama, cut into quarters and slice ¼ “ thick into triangles.
3. Peel and slice daikon radish, cut into ¼ “ slices, then cut into sticks ¼” thick and 2-3” long. (batonnets).
4. If salad is not to be served immediately, the jicama and daikon can be blanched in simmering water for 1 minute to preserved color. When vegetables are removed from the hot water, immediately plunge into ice water to stop the cooking and preserve the crisp texture and color.
5. Wash lettuce and separate into large outer leaves for the base of the salad and cut the remaining lettuce in small ribbons (chiffonade).
6. Wash and cut red pepper into a small dice.
7. Place the large leaves on the bottom of the plate, and top with the chiffonade lettuce.. Arrange vegetables in shingled effect on the leaves, place batonnets in a small pile in the center of the cucumbers and jicama.
8. Add 1 oz. of dressing per portion and sprinkle with diced red pepper. Serve cold.