Chef Mark Cross, Keiser University
6 oz. milk
10 oz. bread, flour
.25 oz. yeast, dry
Dash of malt syrup (optional)
1 lb. Sponge
10 oz. butter
10 oz. bread flour
.4 oz. salt
4.7 oz. sugar
.25 oz. lemon puree zest
.8 oz. orange puree zest
1.5 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 Tbsp. orange blossom water
1. Sponge: Mix the sponge the same day as the final dough.
Mix Sponge in stand mixer for 2 min on 1st speed and 1 min on 2nd speed. Allow to ferment for 30 minutes.
2. Mixing: "BLITZ METHOD" Combine sponge, eggs, flour, malt, and salt with 1/3 of butter on low speed for 4 minutes. Mix on high speed for 4 minutes. Then add 1/3 of the pliable butter (blitzing) keeping the dough on the hook and scraping the bowl often. The add sugar, zest, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and orange blossom water in two additions keeping the dough together. Add the last 1/3 of butter. Intense mixing / Full gluten development.
Bones: take 8 oz of dough and add 2.5 oz bread flour. Mix until homogenous
3. Bulk Ferment: 20 minutes / FOLD / 20 minutes
4. Divide dough into 2 – 1 lb 4 oz pieces; divide the remaining dough into 8 - 1.25 oz pieces.
5. Round dough pieces and place on pan; form the small pieces into 3 “bones” and one round to decorate the tops.
6. Final fermentation: for 1- 1.5 hour in proofer until well-risen, or overnight in the refrigerator.
7. Finishing: egg wash before and after final fermentation
8. Baking: 365* F in oven for 30 to 40 minutes
9. Cooling: Brush with melted butter and roll in vanilla sugar