Layered Black Bean and Avocado Dip
Barbra Crumpacker, RD, LD
1 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 1/2 lime)
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 clove minced garlic
1/8 teaspoon salt
pinch ground red pepper
¼ cup light sour cream
2/3 cup diced tomatoes
1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
Baked corn chips
1. Place beans and next 7 ingredients (beans through red pepper) in a food processor; pulse until almost smooth.
2. Scrape down sides of bowl as necessary. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl, mash avocado with a fork. Add lime juice and cilantro.
4. Spread black beans on platter. Layer sour cream, avocado mixture, tomatoes and green onions evenly over the top.
5. Chill until ready to serve.
6. Serve with baked tortilla chips and fresh vegetable slices.
Yield: 8 servings (5 tablespoons of dip and 8 baked chips) 167 calories; 5.7 grams fat