6 slices Italian or other hearty bread (preferably stale)
1 3/4 cup cooked and drained crumbled breakfast sausage or any other cooked and drained breakfast meat (e.g. bacon, ham)
3 tablespoons butter, softened
¼ teaspoon dry mustard powder
½ teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup diced onion
½ cup diced green bell pepper
½ cup diced red bell pepper
1 ½ cups milk
½ cup heavy cream
2 ½ cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1. Slice and arrange bread in a buttered 9″x13” casserole dish. Arrange bread to cover bottom and up the sides of the casserole dish, trimming pieces as needed.
2. Brush softened butter on top of bread. Top bread with breakfast meat.
3. Sprinkle 2 cups of cheese on top of the meat. In a bowl, combine the milk, cream, eggs, seasonings and vegetables.
4. Pour mixture on top of meat. Cover tightly with foil and place in the refrigerator for 8 hours or overnight.
5. The next morning, preheat oven to 350° F. Place casserole in oven uncovered for 30 minutes.
6. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and bake an additional 10 minutes. Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes before serving. Serves 6-8.