(Yield: 20 sandwiched cookies)
Cream of tartar
3 fl. oz.
Buttermilk, 1%, shaken
12 fl. Oz.
Total Batter Weight
2 lb. 5 oz.
Lightly salted butter, softened
Powdered sugar, sifted
(Directions for Whoopie Pie cakes)
Sift together the first six ingredients and put aside
· In a separate bowl, blend egg and oil together until completely blended;
· Add the vanilla and buttermilk
· Stir in the dry ingredients with a whisk until just blended, without over mixing
· Using a pastry bag with a large plain tip, pipe the batter into even mounds, allowing
Space for spreading
· Bake at 375°F until the center of the cakes bounce back for 11-13 minutes
· Cool the cakes on a wire rack. Pipe with a ring of simple buttercream (following recipe) around the flat side of half of the cakes. Top with another cake.
Directions for Buttercream Frosting
Cream the butter in a mixer, until light and fluffy
· Gradually add the sifted sugar and vanilla, scraping down between additions
· Continue mixing until the icing is light and fluffy.
Recipes from “On Baking: a Textbook of Baking and Pastry Fundamentals” 3rd e., Labensky, Martel, and Van Damme, ©Pearson Education, 2013