Every Team: Greg Reid Wins In Front of Father

By: Elton Gumbel Email
By: Elton Gumbel Email

Over the course of the season, playmaker Greg Reid captured national attention, and gave Seminole Nation a broad range of emotions. But what G-5 (Greg Reid's self-made nickname) did in FSU's bowl victory was, in a sense, overshadowed by who G-5 was finally able to see in that Bowl victory. It's quite the FSU fairytale...

In the NFL, there's the Lambeau Leap... It's the Green Bay Packer's expression of pure jubilation that puts both player and fan in a frenzied embrace... This past weekend at the Chick-fil-A Bowl in Atlanta's Georgia Dome, the Lambeau Leap was all Garnet & Gold-- all father & son.

That's my father figure man... I just jumped up there and told him I love him... Meant a lot to him and hope he's got a smile on his face," said Reid after winning MVP honors for the Chick-fil-A Bowl.

FSU sophomore sensation Greg Reid took home defensive MVP honors in FSU's 26-17 victory over South Carolina. There to witness the whole thing, was Greg Reid, Sr. who hadn't seen any of his son's games in-person since the 9th grade.

Having been incarcerated for nearly 6 years, all of G-5's big plays and accomplishments were relayed to him just by word of mouth... So the chance to experience football success, while in the same building as his dad, easily scored a big moment for the Reid family.

"Being locked down for 6 years... I felt like he deserved this (great feeling).. It's a blessing and I just wanted to have fun," said Reid.

And while we watched Greg Reid grow up and blow up from state championships at Lowndes High School to Bowl victories at FSU, so too did his dad... And just as we saw the speedster help give FSU its first 10 win season since 2003, Greg Reid, Sr. can finally say, he did too in person.

"Hope he had a blast... I think he had a good time." concluded Reid.

• by true nole fan Location: perry fl on Jan 6, 2011 at 08:28 AM
    Thank you bj, my goodness people the man made a mistake that he paid for. Have none of you ever made a mistake, he missed out on a lot no doubt, but all kids no matter how young or old or no matter the choices their parents make, they love them and want them to be apart of their success. I don't miss a game that my kids participate in but if I did when I returned they would be happy that I was there. U all are way to judgemental, put yourself in his dad's shoes ... how would you feel to get to see your son make such great acheivements, and not make the poor choices that you did. That in itself is something to be proud of. A big deal has been made out of this for nothing. G-5 loves his dad regardless of his mistakes, and wants him to be proud. Typical son... Anyone who can't appreciate that has deeper issuses than they know. To G-5 he is his #1 dad,hes the only one he has... Go G-5 I luv to see you on the field, and its a blessing that your dad could too. God Bless you and your family!
  • by bj Location: nORTH fLORIDA on Jan 5, 2011 at 05:09 PM
    So much judgment darn....
  • by SHANER on Jan 5, 2011 at 01:33 PM
    What a great role model for my kids! I didn't think it would be talked about on E.S.P.N. What an embarrassment! I was thinking this was a local story because of F.S.U.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 5, 2011 at 01:22 PM
    I understand the negative comments about his dad's incarceration, but to me, the story is less about Greg's dad and more about the joy the kid feels at having his dad finally see him play. He loves his dad as most kids do, despite his six year absence,and is overjoyed to be able to play in front of him. You can't begrudge Greg that happiness.
  • by big deal on Jan 5, 2011 at 12:43 PM
    Maybe Dad should have thought about that before he got caught running drugs and getting locked up in prison. Great role model he was... He deserves missing all of the games AND his son's life. Watching my three sons grow up has been one of life's pleasures for me.
  • by AmericanIdiot on Jan 5, 2011 at 09:07 AM
    Thank you!!! Someone else has the common sense to comment on what I have been saying about this coverage all along. Who cares about this guy's stupid father. It's his own fault he's been locked up!
  • by Doc Location: NFlorida on Jan 5, 2011 at 08:11 AM
    Good point!
  • by jimbo Location: tally on Jan 5, 2011 at 07:29 AM
    I know this is a "feel good story" but doesn't anybody else see something wrong with this? Initially, I thought his father was in Iraq or Afghanistan or had some kind of illness and could get to any games. But, come the find out his dad is a criminal and has been locked up in prison. So it's his own fault he couldn't see his son play. To top it off he's wearing a jersey that has #1 Dad on the back. How in the world can a father who is locked in prison during his son's teenage years be considered a father at all. This is messed up and shouldn't be celebrated.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 5, 2011 at 04:26 AM
    How racist is this....its no ones business where is daddy was and to announce it to the viewing world was idiotic...but why was he in jail?
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 112919569 - wctv.tv/a?a=112919569