South Bend, IN - The No. 28-ranked Florida State men’s tennis team dropped to No. 12 Notre Dame 6-1 on Sunday at the Courtney Tennis Center. The Seminoles are now 16-10 this season and are 4-6 in conference play.
“Notre Dame played very well today on their Senior Day,” said head coach Dwayne Hultquist. “We had a chance for the doubles point, we were up at two and on serve on one, but Notre Dame came back to win. We needed that point especially on the road. We were doing okay in the first sets until the end when they broke our serve and pulled ahead. We didn’t play well at the beginning of the second sets and couldn’t come back.”
In doubles play, Notre Dame’s Ryan Bandy and Matt Dooley quickly pulled away with an 8-3 win over senior Blake Davis and junior Cristian Gonzalez Mendez on court three. The match on court one was tight until sophomore Michael Rinaldi and freshman Grayson Goldin dropped serve. Alex Lawson and Billy Pecor defeated the Seminole duo 8-5.
In singles play, Davis was topped by No. 89 Quentin Monaghan 6-2, 6-0 on court three while Goldin fell 7-6 (3), 6-1 to Eric Schnurrenberger on court six to give Notre Dame the 3-0 lead. Rinaldi fell 6-4, 6-3 to Eddy Covalschi on court five for Notre Dame’s clinch.
On court one, No. 20 Greg Andrews topped No. 84-ranked Cotrone 6-4, 6-3 as the Irish went up 5-0. Sophomore Marco Nunez won his first set against Josh Hagar on court four, but Hagar came back to win 4-6, 6-2, 6-4.
With the match clinched on court two, Gonzalez Mendez had lost the first set to Bandy and was down 5-0 in the second set, but bounced back and fought hard to win a tiebreaker in the second set. The Seminole went on to win the match 6-7 (4), 7-6 (8), 1-0 (11-9).
“I am proud of Cristian for him coming back from being down 5-0 in the second set,” continued Hultquist. “It showed a lot of heart, especially with the match being clinched.”
Check back to Seminoles.com for all your information on the men’s tennis team and follow the team at @FSU_MTennis.
#15 Notre Dame def. #28 Florida State 6-1
1. #20 Greg Andrews (ND) def. #84 Dominic Cotrone (FSU) 6-4, 6-3
2. #100 Cristian Gonzalez Mendez (FSU) def. Ryan Bandy (ND) 6-7 (4), 7-6 (8), 1-0 (11-9)
3. #89 Quentin Monaghan (ND) def. Blake Davis (FSU) 6-2, 6-0
4. Josh Hagar (ND) def. Marco Nunez (FSU) 4-6, 6-2, 6-4
5. Eddy Covalschi (ND) def. Michael Rinaldi (FSU) 6-4, 6-3
6. Eric Schnurrenberger (ND) def. Grayson Goldin (FSU) 7-6 (3), 6-1
1. Alex Lawson/Billy Pecor (ND) def. Rinaldi/Goldin (FSU) 8-5
2. Nunez/Cotrone (FSU) vs. Andrews/Hagar (ND) unf.
3. Bandy/Matt Dooley (ND) def. Davis/Gonzalez Mendez (FSU) 8-3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (3,6,5,1,4,6)