Athens, GA - The 11th-ranked Georgia men’s tennis team opened the 2011 dual match season with a 7-0 win over Clemson Monday at the Lindsey Hopkins Indoor Facility.
The Bulldogs (1-0) won all nine counted matches to improve to 47-9 all-time in season openers including eight straight wins. In addition to the nine counted matches, Georgia also won three exhibition matches against the Tigers (3-1).
“It was a good start for us,” head coach Manuel Diaz said. “We had a good day overall. There are some things we can work on heading into this weekend, but it was a good win for us to start the season.”
Georgia swept the doubles point to take a 1-0 lead. At court 1, the 14th-ranked team of Javier Garrapiz and Hernus Pieters beat Clemson’s Derek DiFazio and Kevin Galloway, 8-1, then UGA clinched the doubles point at No. 3 where Drake Bernstein and Wil Spencer downed Gerardo Meza and Zachary Rigsby 8-5. At No. 2, the No. 23 tandem of Sadio Doumbia and Ignacio Taboada beat Juan Bolona and Dominique Maden, 8-3.
In singles, Bernstein was the first completed match at No. 3, as he beat Meza 6-1, 6-1. No. 47 Doumbia extended Georgia’s lead to 3-0 with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Wesley Moran at No. 4. No. 13 Garrapiz clinched the match for Georgia at No. 1 with a 6-2, 6-1 win over DiFazio.
No. 53 Spencer stretched his winning streak to six matches with a 7-5, 7-5 win over Galloway at No. 2. At No. 5, 119th-ranked Pieters quickly beat Cal Hilsman 6-0, 6-2, and Taboada closed out the match with a 3-6, 6-3, 1-0(8) win over Maden at No. 6.
Campbell Johnson and Will Oliver both won exhibition matches for Georgia in singles and doubles. The Bulldogs only lost one set in the entire match against Clemson.
Georgia returns to action when it plays host to the ITA Kickoff Saturday and Sunday. The Bulldogs face Oklahoma State Saturday at 2 p.m., while Georgia Tech and North Carolina will play at 10 a.m.
Tennis Match Results
Clemson vs Georgia
Jan 24, 2011 at Athens, Ga.
(Lindsey Hopkins Indoor Facility)
#11 Georgia 7, #53 Clemson 0
1. #13 Javier Garrapiz (UGA) def. Derek DiFazio (CU) 6-2, 6-1
2. #53 Wil Spencer (UGA) def. Kevin Galloway (CU) 7-5, 7-5
3. Drake Bernstein (UGA) def. Gerardo Meza (CU) 6-1, 6-1
4. #47 Sadio Doumbia (UGA) def. Wesley Moran (CU) 6-1, 6-2
5. #119 Hernus Pieters (UGA) def. Cal Hilsman (CU) 6-0, 6-2
6. Ignacio Taboada (UGA) def. Dominique Maden (CU) 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-8)
1. #14 Javier Garrapiz/Hernus Pieters (UGA) def. Derek DiFazio/Kevin Galloway (CU) 8-1
2. #23 Sadio Doumbia/Ignacio Taboada (UGA) def. Juan Bolona/Dominique Maden (CU) 8-3
3. Drake Bernstein/Wil Spencer (UGA) def. Gerardo Meza/Zachary Rigsby (CU) 8-5
Clemson 3-1; National ranking #53
Georgia 1-0; National ranking #11
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (3,4,1,2,5,6)
Official: Walt Williams