DURHAM, N.C.- The No.31 Florida State women’s tennis team fell to No.3 Duke 4-2 today at the Ambler Tennis Center in Durham, N.C.
“Although we went 0-2 over the weekend, everyone certainly has a lot of positive things to take from their matches,” Head Coach Jennifer Hyde said. “We competed well and had a lot of opportunities in both matches this weekend.”
The Seminoles claimed the doubles point with two wins from courts two and three. After juniors Amy Sargeant and Carolina De Los Santos fell in their match on court one to No.42 Mary Clayton and Ester Goldfield 8-4, junior Francesca Segarelli and freshman Mia Vriens defeated Hanna Mar and Annie Mulholland on court three 8-6.
Leaving the point to be decided on court two, freshman Leyla Erkan and sophomore Ruth Seaborne pulled off an upset to secure the point for the Seminoles by defeating No. 25 Beatrice Capra and Rachel Kahan 9-7.
In singles play, No.70 Clayton would defeat Sargeant 6-1, 6-2 on court five, tying the score 1-1. The Blue Devils would take the lead 2-1 after No.86 Kahan beat Vriens on court four 6-4. 6-0.
Over on court one, Seaborne fell to No.2 Capra 6-4, 6-0, putting the Seminole behind 3-1, but Segarelli came up with a big win on court three against No.51 Mar, 6-3, 6-3, pulling Florida State within one at 3-2.
Duke would claim the match as De Los Santos fell on court six to No.92 Monica Turewicz 6-4, 6-3. Erkan’s match on court two against No.112 Goldfield went unfinished, leaving the final score 4-2.
“I think we needed a weekend like this” Hyde said. “Playing two matches against top 10 competition gauges exactly where we are heading into our last regular season weekend. I really like what I saw from the team, and we are even more excited as we move closer to the Championship part of the season.”
The Seminoles will return home for two final matches as they will host Virginia Tech on Friday at 3:30 p.m. and Virginia on Sunday at 12 p.m. Check back to Seminoles.com and Twitter (FSU_tennis) for more information.
1. #2 Beatrice Capra (DU) def. Ruth Seaborne (FSU) 6-4, 6-0
2. #112 Ester Goldfeld (DU) vs. Leyla Erkan (FSU) 6-3, 4-5, unfinished
3. Francesca Segarelli (FSU) def. #51 Hanna Mar (DU) 6-3, 6-3
4. #86 Rachel Kahan (DU) def. Mia Vriens (FSU) 6-4, 6-0
5. #70 Mary Clayton (DU) def. Amy Sargeant (FSU) 6-1, 6-2
6. #92 Monica Turewicz (DU) def. Carolina De los Sant (FSU) 6-4, 6-3
1. #42 Mary Clayton/Ester Goldfeld (DU) def. Amy Sargeant/Carolina De los Sant (FSU) 8-4
2. Ruth Seaborne/Leyla Erkan (FSU) def. #25 Beatrice Capra/Rachel Kahan (DU) 9-7
3. Francesca Segarelli/Mia Vriens (FSU) def. Hanna Mar/Annie Mulholland (DU) 8-6
Florida State 11-8, 4-5 ACC; National ranking #31
Duke 19-2, 8-0 ACC; National ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (5,4,1,3,6)