FSU Football Coach Jimbo Fisher Gets Pay Raise

By: Jerry Askin Email
By: Jerry Askin Email

FSU tuition isn't the only thing on the rise -- its new head football coach is also getting a salary boost.

A 10 win season for the 'Noles was enough to earn Jimbo Fisher a raise of almost a million dollars a year.

The university released the finalized contract Wednesday. Fisher will receive an additional $525,000 annually for radio and TV obligations and another $425,000 boost for his speaking engagements across the country.

FSU Junior Larry Edwards says, "Fisher is doing amazing things with the athletic program. Athletics brings in a lot of money and attention to the University."

FSU Senior William Castro disagrees with Fisher's pay raise and says, "I feel that his raise is a bit excessive and that he should earn his spot on the team more as a coach, considering that he started last semester."

Senior Cherell Ponder says, "I'm actually for it. I feel like we got the number one recruiting class this year, I think Jimbo has done a great job with where he's taken the football team."

His total package is a 5 year deal worth just under 14 million bucks.

Jimbo's base salary remains the same at $225,000 per year, but under the new deal, Fisher will take home five million more than the five year, 9 million dollar deal he signed nearly a year ago.

• by Jimbo Fsher Location: Tallahassee for now on Feb 18, 2011 at 04:30 PM
    TOUCHDOWN!!!!!!!!!!!
  • by Prez. Obama Location: D.C. on Feb 18, 2011 at 04:28 PM
    Dang, he's making more than I am!!!!!! I'm heading to Tally after my term, hook up a buddy, Jimbo
  • by Cheryl Location: Florida on Feb 18, 2011 at 03:12 PM
    AMEN TallyTrashTalks2 AMEN!!!!!! Students can't afford college, teachers laid off, but football must go on. Bimbo Fisher has been there ONE season. THis is ridiculous!!!!!!
  • by Tightwad Location: The shelter on Feb 18, 2011 at 02:40 PM
    Ok, what the hell, lets give Jimbo and all the assistants another $250,000 for agreeing on his payhike. By the way, is it the private sector or government thats paying him. How much is Sue Semrau getting just outta curiousity?. I believe the womens basketball and softball teams have more than twice the games, are they getting the equivelant? Is the Professors at different depatments paid or are thier jobs in the air.
  • by BigFan Location: Local on Feb 18, 2011 at 02:32 PM
    Reply to truth. Yes part of his pay is tax payer money. All of the coaches at FSU, FAMU, USf, UCF, FIU, UNF, UWF,and FGCU are paid part if not all of their money from tax payers money. I agree that most of Coach Fishers pay is not tax payer money but the base pay is tax dollars. Added to all the other coaches it becomes a large sum for the State of Florida.
  • by truth Location: tally on Feb 18, 2011 at 11:17 AM
    It's not tax payer money so stop whining and Jimbo only gets paid 50k more than UF's new head coach Will Muschamp
  • by David Location: Tallahassee on Feb 18, 2011 at 11:02 AM
    I have a really problem with receiving 500,000 from Nike. Its my understanding that the University has an agreement to use nike gear: Why isn't this going to the University or the athletic department. If on the other hand fisher is an employee of Nike, this seems to be a conflict. As a state employee I thought you had to get special authorization to have two jobs. I guess once again, only take care of self and its all about the money, thats why I dropped all tickets and booster support.
  • by Unemployed father with 2 kids Location: Tally on Feb 18, 2011 at 10:49 AM
    A pay raise like that after 1 year, when it may take most people 20 plus years to get a fraction of that, ummmm. Wonder how many Professors they laid off, as well as the lower eschelons on minimum wage. If it was me as a coach, Id be proud/ or lucky to even pull 100,000. Do I hear greed, when more people are working just as hard or harder for 25,000. a year. Think about it. I betcha Coach Bill Peterson years back didn't have that kinda salery compared for that time
  • by Kevin aka Reality on Feb 18, 2011 at 10:29 AM
    Thats because even though the rest of us are hurting bad....we gotta have our "fooseball" Oh yeah !! (Waterboy.) Lets you know what kinda backwood politics are afoot.
  • by BigFan Location: local on Feb 18, 2011 at 10:26 AM
    I have no problem with Coach Fisher getting a raise. I just think that all sports programs in all State schools should pay all of the coaches salaries out of booster funds and other income generated by the sports depts. and not use tax dollars. Their is one university in the state that does that already.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 116430409 - wctv.tv/a?a=116430409