Tallahassee, FL - The No. 27 Florida State (1-0) men’s tennis team quickly got to work on the 2011 season with a 7-0 win over No. 62 Troy (0-1). The Seminoles were able to win every match on the court for the first time since February 6th when Florida State topped South Florida 7-0.
In singles play, sophomore Anderson Reed (Daphne, Ala.) won quickly on court five 6-4, 6-0 against Mario Rolemberg. Freshman Blake Davis (Austin, Texas) came off the courts moments later with a 6-1, 6-0 victory over Niklas Jonsson in his first collegiate dual match of his career.
Clinching the match for the Seminoles was sophomore Connor Smith (Tampa, Fla.) who won 6-2, 6-2 on court two against Anas Rouchdi. No. 42 senior Vahid Mirzadeh (Wellington, Fla.) followed suit and came off court one with a 6-2, 6-1 triumph over Branko Weber.
On court three, senior Clint Bowles (Tampa, Fla.) nabbed his first win of the season with a 6-2, 7-6 (4) win over Sami Ghorbel. Closing it out for the Seminoles was sophomore Andres Bucaro (Guatemala City, Guatemala) who won the first set 6-3 but then was down 5-2 in the second set but came back to win it 7-5 over Jamie Eccleton.
In doubles play the Seminole won all three of their doubles matches since February 21, 2010 when they beat No. 16 Pepperdine 4-3. Mirzadeh and Smith extended their winning streak to four matches after an 8-2 victory over Jonsson and Rolemberg on court one.
On court two Bucaro and Reed paired up to win 8-4 over Ghorbel and Rouchdi. Shutting out Weber and Eccleton 8-0 on court three was Bowles and Davis.
The Seminoles will play at home on Saturday and Sunday to play host for the Seminole Quad. Florida State plays Nebraska on January 22 at 9:00 a.m. at the Scott Speicher Tennis Center then Florida Atlantic at 3:00 p.m. Sunday’s match against Furman begins at noon to close the tournament. Admission is free at all home matches.
No. 27 Florida State 7 def. No. 62 Troy 0
1) Smith/Mirzadeh (FSU) def. Jonsson/Rolemberg (TROY) 8-2
2) Bucaro/Reed (FSU) def. Ghorbel/Rouchdi (TROY) 8-4
3) Bowles/Davis (FSU) def. Weber/Eccleton (TROY) 8-0
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
1) No. 42 Vahid Mirzadeh (FSU) def. Branko Weber (TROY) 6-2, 6-1
2) Connor Smith (FSU) def. Anas Rouchdi (TROY) 6-2, 6-2
3) No. 27 Clint Bowles (FSU) def. Sami Ghorbel (TROY) 6-2, 7-6 (4)
4) Blake Davis (FSU) def. Niklas Jonsson (TROY) 6-1, 6-0
5) Anderson Reed (FSU) def. Mario Rolemberg (TROY) 6-4, 6-0
6) Andres Bucaro (FSU) v. Jamie Eccleton (TROY) 6-3, 7-5
Order of finish: 5, 4, 2, 1, 3, 6
For further information, visit: www.seminoles.com