TAMPA – The No. 36 Florida State men’s tennis team (6-7, 1-2) lost to South Florida (5-2, 0-0) 6-1 today at the USF Varsity Courts. This match closes out a road trip where the Seminoles faced three teams in five days and ended it with a 1-2 record.
“I think that this is a disappointing loss to lose 6-1 here,” said head coach Dwayne Hultquist. “I think USF played very inspired. We had lots of chances. Getting the doubles point would have been pretty key. This was a long road trip, it was our third match of spring break. Maybe that caught up to us a little bit. I think we’ve got to do a better job of closing sets out and starting second sets better.”
In doubles play, the sophomore duo of Andres Bucaro (Guatemala City, Guatemala) and Anderson Reed (Daphne, Ala.) won the lone doubles match with a 8-3 win on court two over Romain Deridder and Federico Sabogal.
In singles play, USF took off with a quick lead and won five of the six first sets. Blake Davis (Austin, Texas) came out with the lone win in singles. After dropping his last two matches, he snapped his losing streak with a 4-6, 6-2, 6-1 win over Sabogal on court five.
In ranked play, No. 60 Clint Bowles (Tampa, Fla.) lost on court two to Wael Kilani 64, 7-6 (7). No. 21 Vahid Mirzadeh retired on court one against Lucas Jovita with the score 3-6, 6-4, 2-0.
“I think one thing that hurt us a lot today was Vahid was sick,” continued Hultquist. “He played sick and tried to help the team out but eventually got to where he was too tired in the third set of singles.”
The Seminoles return to the courts on Tuesday, March 15 at 4 p.m. All matches at the Scott Speicher Tennis Center are free admission.
South Florida 6 def. No. 36 Florida State 1
1) Jovita/Adderley (USF) def. No. 13 Smith/Mirzadeh (FSU) 8-6
2) Bucaro/Reed (FSU) def. Deridder/Yoshizawa (USF) 8-3
3) Kilani/Sabogal (USF) def. Bowles/Kelly-Houston (FSU) 8-4
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1*
1) Lucas Jovita (USF) def. No. 21 Vahid Mirzadeh (FSU) 3-6, 6-4, 2-0 ret.
2) Wael Kilani (USF) def. No. 60 Clint Bowles (FSU) 6-4, 7-6 (7)
3) Romain Deridder (USF) def. Connor Smith (FSU) 7-6 (0), 6-0
4) Jamal Adderley (USF) def. Jordan Kelly-Houston (FSU) 6-4, 6-2
5) Blake Davis (FSU) def. Federico Sabogal (USF) 4-6, 6-2, 6-1
6) Yannick Yoshizawa (USF) def. Anderson Reed (FSU) 7-5, 6-3
Order of finish: 4, 3, 6*, 2, 1, 5
For further information, visit: www.seminoles.com