Tallahassee, Fla. – For the first time this spring the Seminole football team put on pads. The team practiced for 28 periods once again but Wednesday they put on shoulder pads and began to hit. FSU football will practice two more times this week. The team goes back to the field this Friday and will scrimmage Saturday.
HIGHLIGHTS & NOTES:
* It was a day of firsts for the Seminoles. The team not only put on pads but they worked on special teams for the first time and referees were also on the field.
* The offense and defense did scout team work to begin the practice.
* The lines worked on individual blocking while the receivers and defensive backs went up against one another. Christian Ponder and Greg Carr connected and Preston Parker hauled in a ball along the sideline that he skied to catch.
* In run drills Marcus Sims had two big gainers, Jamaal Edwards broke a tackle and turned in a couple big runs, Pat Davis had a big gainer as did Russell Ball. Xavier Lee broke the pocket for a nice scramble as well. Defensively Neefy Moffett had a tackle behind the line.
* In pass skel Tony Carter broke up three passes and Michael Ray Garvin, Patrick Robinson and Jamie Robinson had pass break ups as well. Roger Williams hauled in the lone interception. Drew Weatherford hooked up with De’Cody Fagg and he also hit Joslin Shaw deep.
* In 11-on-11 Moffett had another tackle for loss. Myron Rolle recovered a fumble and had two of the biggest hits, Everette Brown had a tackle for loss and Jamie Robinson had a big tackle at the line of scrimmage. For the offense, Antone Smith had a nice run he busted up the middle and then broke off another long run after breaking a tackle at the line. Weatherford connected with tight end Charlie Graham who turned a short pass into a long gainer after he shed a tackle. Sims turned in another nice run as well.