TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – No. 18 Florida State (10-5, 3-3) halted their two match losing streak and defeated the Virginia Cavaliers 4-3 today, Friday, March 30. The Scott Speicher Tennis Center was filled with excitement as the Seminoles won all of the doubles matches to earn the doubles’ point.
“I think Virginia is a dangerous team,” stated head coach Jennifer Hyde. “I think they are a bit underrated. I think they are a very capable team this year and they proved it today. I think we squeaked it out.”
In singles, No. 77 sophomore Ania Rynarzewska (Inowroclaw, Poland) won the first match for the Seminoles with a 6-2, 6-3 victory over Maggie Yahner. Earning the next point for Florida State was junior Carolin Walter (Bingen, Germany) against Lindsey Pereira 6-2, 6-2. No. 95 Freshman Lauren Macfarlane (Ogden, Utah) clinched the Seminoles victory by defeating Britney Larson 6-1, 6-4.
The Seminoles swept the Cavaliers 3-0 in doubles for the point. Heading off the courts first was senior Miranda Foley (Cambridge, England) and freshman Jessica Wente (Whitehouse, TX) 8-2 over Caroline Hammond and Lara Alexander. The No. 29 duo of senior Nicola Slater and Walter won 8-4 over Yahner/Larson. Macfarlane and Rynarzewska won the final match 8-5 over Amanda Rales and Jennifer Stevens.
“I told the girls even though it was tight, if you look a year back we lost to Virginia 5-2,” continued Hyde. “To turn around in this span of time and to have the success that we had and to beat this team shows the progress that we are making. We are still not there yet, but it shows the progress and as long as we have that progress we are moving in the right direction.”
With this win, Florida State already has more victories then it did last season. The Seminoles return to the court on Sunday, April 1 at the Scott Speicher Tennis Center against Virginia Tech at noon.
No. 18 Florida State 4, No. 49 Virginia 3
1. No. 29 Nicola Slater/Carolin Walter (FSU) def. Maggie Yahner/Britney Larson (UVA) 8-4
2. Ana Lauren Macfarlane/Ania Rynarzewska (FSU) def. Amanda Rales/Jennifer Stevens (UVA) 8-5
3. Miranda Foley/Jessica Wente (FSU) def. Caroline Hammond/Lara Alexander (UVA) 8-2
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
1. Jennifer Stevens (UVA) def. No. 76 Nicola Slater (FSU) 2-6. 6-3, 6-4
2. No. 95 Lauren Macfarlane (FSU) def. Britney Larson (UVA) 6-1, 6-4
3. No. 77 Ania Rynarzewska (FSU) def. Maggie Yahner (UVA) 6-2, 6-3
4. Carolin Walter (FSU) def. Lindsey Pereira (UVA) 6-2, 6-2
5. Amanda Rales (UVA) def. Tapiwa Marobela (FSU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Caroline Hammond (UVA) def. Jessica Wente (FSU) 7-6 (8-6), 6-3
Order of finish: 3, 5, 4, 2*, 1, 6
* - clinched victory
For further information, visit: www.seminoles.com
Designed by Gray Digital Media