Bear Invasion Leaves One Goat Dead

By: Gary Parker Email
By: Gary Parker Email

Carrabelle, FL -- August 24m 2011 --

Oreo the goat is not herself today. She didn't even eat her doughnut. She's been skittish since a bear killed her mother. Juanita Brown wanted to kill the bear but didn't.

"I mean I could've shot him this morning because he was sitting right there eating on my goat; I could've shot him; I had a clear shot. I'd be put in jail. There's no way I could shoot that bear; they'd lock me up."

Brown is a great-grandmother. She once killed a bear after it broke into her home. She wasn't charged.

It's illegal to hunt bear in Florida. but Brown believes the law should be changed.

"If a man tried to come in and shoot my animals out here, I could shoot that man. But if a bear comes and get my animals, I cannot touch that bear," Brown says.

Adam Warwick is an FWC Biologist helping Brown trap the bear
He says it's not unusual to see more bears at this time of year

Adam Warwick / FWC Wildlife Biologist @43
"At this time of year, bears are trying to pack on more calories; they're eating about 20,000 calories a day, trying to get ready for winter when not as much food is available."

Warwick says there are better ways than killing to stop bear invasions.

"The way we do that is bear-proof garbage cans and electric fencing ground stuff that you want to protect," he says.

Brown worries that's not enough.

"Some child is going to get killed by a bear"

If you have a bear problem, you can call the FWC at (850) 265-3677. After hours, you can call (888) 404-3922.

• by Anonymous on Aug 28, 2011 at 11:19 PM
    Nita, You are a brave woman. Bear's keep coming to your home. There is not a thing you can do about it. So sorry for the loss of your nanny goat, and for having to give away the kid, (to protect it) I have listened to your bear stories, and I am with you 100%.
  • by Gary Location: Jackson co. on Aug 25, 2011 at 07:14 PM
    Ask state to pay for goat. Leave bear alone. At least it is not a politician.
  • by jr Location: ga on Aug 25, 2011 at 04:34 PM
    i think i seen a panther the other night it stepped out on the road and darted back in the woods. not sure it happened so fast.
  • by game warden Location: usa on Aug 25, 2011 at 04:31 PM
    crying about her goat. put up some electric fense. what i learnt about wild animals if you give them a bad experience they will not come back. UNLIKE DUMB HUMAN BEINGS.
      by Anonymous on Aug 26, 2011 at 01:33 PM in reply to game warden
      Too bad you haven't "learnt" anything about proper grammar, spelling, punctuation, capitalization, or spelling. Nevermind....I guess you're just a dumb human being.
  • by shnuk Location: tally baby on Aug 25, 2011 at 04:28 PM
    OBAMA will take care of it.
  • by ANOM Location: FL on Aug 25, 2011 at 02:35 PM
    Well friggin' duh! When you live in the woods of course you're going to have issues like this! Typical of this society - setup shop in the woods and when a hungry animal comes near, shout "FOUL!" and start shooting!
  • by Will Location: Homegrown Franklin County on Aug 25, 2011 at 01:27 PM
    Well here we go again. At the end of the article they say: If you have bear problems....call...lol I did this the last time, four days later they get a 534lb bear, but the bull you go through ain't worth it. JUST SHOOT'em Juanita. That's the only way that you and I are going to get rid of our bear problem. Maybe if we shoot enough of them and they will quit coming around. I'm done with calling anymore. It's too flustrating.
  • by Crimson Brotha Location: Tallahassee on Aug 25, 2011 at 11:07 AM
    Thats what happens when animals are valued more than humans. A clear example of animals rights vs human rights.
      by Anonymous on Aug 25, 2011 at 12:37 PM in reply to Crimson Brotha
      Well said!!!
  • by nature lover Location: fl-ga on Aug 25, 2011 at 10:33 AM
    the goat was going to be killed anyway and BBQ. i am 48 and i seen my first bear the other day so maby they are makeing a comeback.
      by Gman on Aug 25, 2011 at 11:33 AM in reply to nature lover
      Well, the owner of the goat should have had the opportunity to EAT their goat!!
        by nature lover on Aug 25, 2011 at 11:52 AM in reply to Gman
        ok drink another beer and lie down you have had your say today. maby this lady should move to the city and the first time she has an encounter with a thug she can declare war on them. better the thugs than the few animals left on earth.
          by Gman on Aug 25, 2011 at 12:11 PM in reply to nature lover
          sounds like you made a grreat batch of mushroom koolaid today... have another shot of shroom juice and dance in the rain!!!
        by Gman on Aug 25, 2011 at 12:13 PM in reply to Gman
        The circle of life.... She was going to eat the goat, but the bear beat her to it, so EAT THE BEAR!!! I JUST LOVE ANIMALS, THEY TASTE SO GOOD!!
  • by Bubba Location: Libery County on Aug 25, 2011 at 10:21 AM
    My goat is dead, now who am I going to take to prom?!!!
      by liberty county PERSON on Aug 25, 2011 at 11:59 AM in reply to Bubba
      Your sister, cousin, aunt, mother
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 128350173 - wctv.tv/a?a=128350173