GBI releases details in deputy-involved shooting investigation

By  | 

By: Fletcher Keel | WCTV Eyewitness News
October 5, 2017

CLAY COUNTY, Ga. (WCTV) -- The Georgia Bureau of Investigation has announced preliminary information in their investigation of a shooting of a Clay County Sheriff's Office deputy that occurred on Wednesday.

GBI says that at around 11 a.m., CCSO received a domestic disturbance call at Azalea Trace in Georgetown, where a juvenile reported 46-year-old Matthew Collier was at the home and the juvenile believed Collier was going to hurt the child's mother.

Clay County deputy Ted Bell responded to the residence, where he made contact with Collier when entering the house.

Officials say during the encounter, Collier fired two shots, one of which struck Bell in the abdomen.

Officials also say Bell returned fire, but did not hit Collier.

GBI says, after being hit, Bell went to his patrol car to retrieve another firearm and awaited law enforcement backup and medical support.

Authorities say Collier came out of his residence and surrendered.

Officials say Deputy Bell was transported to Southeast Alabama Medical Center in Dothan and is expected to survive.

Collier has been charged with criminal attempt to commit murder, aggravated battery and aggravated assault on a public safety officer.

Other charges are pending.

GBI officials are still investigating. They ask that if anyone has any information to call the GBI office in Sylvester at 229-777-2080.

By: Fletcher Keel | WCTV Eyewitness News
October 4, 2017

CLAY COUNTY, Ga. (WCTV) -- The Georgia Bureau of Investigation is looking into a deputy-involved shooting that occurred Wednesday morning in Clay County.

The GBI says that around 10 a.m. Clay County authorities received a 911 call reporting a domestic disturbance.

Authorities say a Clay County deputy responded to the incident, and after arrival, gunfire was exchanged. The GBI says one deputy was shot and is at the hospital, recovering from injuries.

The subject was eventually detained.

Officials say the investigation is ongoing.