Cause of Death Announced in Ga Tech Baseball Tragedy

ATLANTA (AP) _ An investigator with the Fulton County Medical
Examiner's office says the Georgia Tech baseball player found dead
in his apartment on April 11 died accidentally of morphine
toxicity.
She said Monday she could not provide the toxicology report,
only the cause and manner of death. She would only identify herself
as Investigator Galloway, medical examiner No. 25.
Pitcher Michael Hutts, 21, was a management major who was listed
on Georgia Tech's dean's list last year.
Ryan Tinkoff, Hutts' teammate and roommate, told police he
noticed Hutts' eyes were dilated before Tinkoff went to bed around
midnight. Tinkoff said he entered Hutts' room about 1:30 p.m. the
following day when Hutts did not respond to knocks on the door.
According to the report, Tinkoff found Hutts non-responsive and his
arm was ``purplish.''
Tinkoff also said Hutts was drinking the night before and was
known to use heroin. Heroin is processed from morphine, a naturally
occurring substance extracted from the seed pod of certain
varieties of poppy plants, according to the U.S. Drug Enforcement
Administration.
Police also found empty beer cans in the apartment, and an empty
bottle of liquor and a bottle of pain pills in Hutts' room,
according to a police report.

(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WSWG TV 107 2nd Ave S.W. Moultrie Ga. 31768
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 18667889 - wctv.tv/a?a=18667889