Downtown Atlanta Hotel Evacuated, Guests Return

ATLANTA (AP) Guests have been allowed to return to their rooms at the Marriott Marquis hotel in downtown Atlanta after a fire and chemical leak caused authorities to evacuate the hotel.

The fire started around 9:45 p.m. Tuesday in a utility closet in one of the 50-story hotel's parking decks.

Atlanta Fire-Rescue Department spokesman Captain Bill May says chlorine that was part of the air-conditioning system leaked.

The hotel guests were sent to a nearby Hilton hotel.

Firefighters reported the blaze was contained just before midnight.

May says no injuries were reported.

The guests were allowed to return to the Marriott early Wednesday morning.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ATLANTA (AP) The 52-story Marriott Marquis Hotel in downtown Atlanta has been evacuated after reports of a chemical spill.

Police say they received reports of fumes from a lower parking level of the hotel about 10 p.m. Tuesday.

Atlanta Fire Department Capt. Bill May says no injuries are reported.

May says the type of chemical involved isn't known yet.

But he says it's been prevented from spreading beyond the hotel.

Officials say 700-to-800 people were evacuated safely.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WSWG TV 107 2nd Ave S.W. Moultrie Ga. 31768
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 18918844 - wctv.tv/a?a=18918844
Gray Television, Inc.