"No contest" Plea to DUI Manslaughter Case

6:00 p.m. Update

A teenager accused of leaving the scene after hitting and killing a seven year old girl pleads out.
It all played out to an emotionally packed Gadsden County Courtroom Friday.
The "no contest" plea was not negotiated with the state which means the judge will have complete discretion to determine Crosby's sentence.
19-year-old Bryce Crosby said very little more than "no, sir and yes, sir" to Gadsden County Judge Thomas Bateman.
But his attorney withdrew his guilty plea and entered a plea of no contest to one count of manslaughter while driving under the influence and one count of leaving the scene of a crash causing death.
The death was that of seven year old Shanesa Cox. Shanesa's mother, Regina Jackson, said, "I just want justice to be done. He's out and he's in the street with his people. But my baby is gone. I can't bring her back."
On December 1, 2007, Shanesa was playing in her grandmother's front yard with three other little girls. Florida Highway Patrol Troopers say Crosby drove across a couple of lawns and struck the girls.
Shanesa was killed.
The child's grandmother, Joanne Carpio, said, "He drove through my yard; drove through my yard and took my baby. He's with his family but my baby is gone."
Crosby kept driving after the accident.
Gadsden County State Prosecutor Rick Combs recited Crosby's blood alcohol level from that day in court. It was .222, which is nearly three times the legal limit.
Carpio said, "This is wrong. He didn't have any gumption to say I'm sorry to the family."
Two of the other girls suffered minor injuries.
Crosby's sentencing has been scheduled for July 16th at 2:00 p.m. There will be a pre-sentence investigation.
Crosby faces 15 years in prison for each count--a maximum of 30 years.

1:46 p.m.
A 19-year-old accused of hitting and killing a 7-year-old girl with his car entered a plea in court Friday morning.

Bryce Crosby entered a "no contest" plea to DUI manslaughter and leaving the scene of an accident with death.

On December 1st, three girls were playing the front yard of their grandmother's house when they were hit.

One of the girls, seven year old Shanisha Cox, was killed. The two others suffered minor injuries.

Deputies say Crosby's blood-alcohol level was nearly three times the legal limit. He will be sentenced on July 16th.

The judge ordered a pre-sentence investigation.