News Release: Georgia Department of Transportation
The Georgia Department of Transportation is prepared for possible winter weather conditions Tuesday and Wednesday. The Department has ample personnel and resources located throughout the state and will pre-treat and treat roads throughout as conditions warrant. In addition, manpower, equipment, salt, gravel and brine can be relocated from lesser impacted areas if necessary and agreements are in place with private contractors to assist in clearing roadways if needed. (A summary of Department resources is attached.)
The crews’ first priority will be the Interstate Highway System and heavily travelled U.S. and State routes. The Department will closely coordinate its efforts with the National Weather Service and state and local officials to best utilize resources; pre-treatment of roads will begin when conditions warrant.
If conditions deteriorate as forecast, especially in areas in middle and south Georgia where ice is forecast, the public is advised to refrain from all but absolutely necessary driving and to exercise extreme caution if they must drive. Slow down; maintain a steady speed; avoid sudden braking; and never pass a Georgia DOT vehicle treating roadways.
Department communications staff will issue hourly advisories as warranted on possible winter weather effects on roadways. Representatives will be available at the locations and via the phone numbers listed below throughout the weather event:
- The Special Operations Center (SOC): Located at the Transportation Management Center (TMC) will activate at Noon, Tuesday. Media should call Karlene Barron or Natalie Dale at 404.635.2490 and 2491 for updates. (Note - This is the Department’s statewide command center and the clearinghouse for real-time conditions; it is your best source for current status of roadways.)
- Cheshire Bridge Road (Metro Atlanta) Maintenance Facility: Will be staffed from 11 a.m. forward. Contact Mark McKinnon at 404.326.6672.
- District Two (East Central Georgia) Tennille Headquarters: Will be staffed from 8 a.m. forward. Contact Cissy McNure at 478.232.3331
- District Three (West Central Georgia) Thomaston Headquarters: Will be staffed from 8 a.m. forward. Contact Kimberly Larson at 706.741.3439.
- District Four (South and Southwest Georgia) Tifton Headquarters: Will be staffed from 8 a.m. forward. Contact Nita Birmingham 229.326.5435.
- District Five (Southeast and Coastal Georgia) Savannah Area Office: Will be staffed from Noon forward. Contact Jill Nagel at 912.424.6643. 3
(Personnel also will be on duty in North Georgia; should winter weather conditions develop there, contact information will be made available.)