Local Woman Dies In House Fire

The Whigham Fire Chief says when firefighters arrived on the scene around 6:15 Wednesday night, flames were already pouring from the doors.

Firefighters quickly removed 68 year old Jean Harris from the house, but she was pronounced dead on the scene.

Jean and her husband are longtime Whigham residents and friends say she will be greatly missed.

"It's always tough especially when you loose someone you know. We try to work real hard on fire safety in Whigham and this is our first fatality in well over 10 years," said Whigham Fire Chief and longtime friend, Scott Newberry.

The couple have lived in the Whigham area for many years and neighbors say she was always smiling and acted as a mother figure to many.

The Georgia Insurance and Fire Safety Commissioner's office was called in Wednesday night to investigate the fire.

It has determined that the blaze started as a grease fire on the stove.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WSWG TV 415 Pine Avenue Suite 100 Albany, GA 31701
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 27868974 - wctv.tv/a?a=27868974
Gray Television, Inc.