Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: about 1 hour
• 2 quarts water
• 1 cooked turkey thigh OR 2 cooked turkey wings (smoked turkey tastes best) OR 1 ½ cups cooked turkey meat
• 2 cups prepared corn
• 2 cups prepared and rinsed kidney beans
• 1 cup cubed pumpkin/squash
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• Several fresh chopped sage leaves or 2 teaspoons dried/rubbed sage
• 2 teaspoons salt (or more to taste)
1. Put the 2 quarts of water and turkey into a large pot and bring it to a boil. Boil for about 15 minutes.
2. To the same pot, add the corn, beans, and pumpkin/squash. Lower heat to medium-high and allow them to continue to gently boil for another 15 minutes. Add a little more water if necessary.
3. Add the onion, sage, and salt. Lower to medium heat and allow to cook for a further 30 minutes.
4. If you used meat still on the bone, remove turkey from the soup and place on a plate. Remove the meat from the bones and tear or cut into small pieces. Be careful, it’s hot! Discard the bones and return the meat to the soup.
5. Serve and enjoy!
It’s a good way to use your Thanksgiving leftovers.
Don’t worry about exact measurements. This recipe is very forgiving.
Our recipe is very basic. It is very versatile and can easily be changed to fit your tastes.
This is a perfect recipe for the crock pot. Just put everything in at once and let it cook for a few hours on “low.”
Any kind of bean works well: lima, pinto...or even a mix!
Add a few Tablespoons of mashed potatoes as a thickener.