Note: this is not a complete recipe. It's a way to jazz up any clam chowder recipe you may already have. (It's awesome!)
Basic Ingredients for a chowder base:
Salt & Pepper
• Substitute CLAM JUICE for vegetable stock.
• Sautee celery and onion in separate pan,
then add to base.
Basic Ingredients to finish your chowder:
• Use RED ONIONS & RED POTATOES.
• Try Hardwood Smoked Bacon.
• Chop bacon and pan cook until golden brown.
• Add some of the bacon pan drippings to your chowder.
• Use half-‐n-‐half and heavy cream instead of plain milk.
This will give a thicker, heartier texture and flavor.
• Avoid carrots.
Typical Chowder Seasonings:
black pepper & salt
• Chopped Garlic will give your chowder a kick.
• Butter adds flavor, color and a little sweetness.
• Try some dry spice blends:
green and red pepper,
red pepper flakes
Key: Wisk dry spice blend into half-‐n-‐half before
adding to chowder.
Most people heat chowder on a stove in a sauce pan.
• Dust off your crock pot! When your recipe is complete, give
the chowder’s flavors an hour or more to all come together.