1 medium eggplant
2 ripe tomatoes
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
12 fresh basil leaves
8 slices unsalted fresh mozzarella cheese (about 4 ounces total)
1 cup Balsamic Vinaigrette
12 Large Shrimp (Grilled)
1. Preheat a grill pan or oven to 425°F
2. Slice the eggplant and tomatoes crosswise into 1/2 inch pieces.
3. Place 8 eggplant slices in a single layer on oiled grill pan or a baking sheet coated with nonstick cooking spray.
4. Set the tomatoes aside.
5. In a small bowl combine the olive oil, salt, and pepper.
6. Brush the mixture over the eggplant and tomato slices, then set the remainder aside.
7. Grill or Bake the eggplant slices for about 5 minutes.
8. Place a slice of cooked eggplant on a work surface. Top with a tomato slice, a basil leaf, a slice of mozzarella, a tomato slice, another slice of cheese, and then a basil leaf.
9. Repeat to make three more stacks.
10. Top each with a drizzle of Balsamic Vinaigrette, fresh basil leaf, and 3 Grilled Shrimp.
11. Grilling Shrimp (coat with olive mixture, heat grill pan and sear on each side till slightly pink)