½ lb. Chick peas, dried
2 qts. Water
1 qt. Chicken stock or water
3 lb. Turkey, dark meat, cooked
2 ea. Onions, medium
1 tsp. Garlic, chopped
1 ea. Bay leaf
1 tbl. Salt
8 ea. Black peppercorns
3 tbl. Rice, white, uncooked
1 lb. Jicama, medium dice
1 ½ tsp Oregano, dried
1 tbl. Chile Powder
3 tbl. Green chiles, canned
½ lb. Monterey Jack cheese or Cheddar, ¼ inch dice
2 tbl. Cilantro, chopped
2 tbl. Pine nuts
2 tbl. Pepitas, salted, green pumpkin seeds
6-8 ea. Tortillas, flour. Cut the tortillas in 8 pieces each and deep fry at 350F. Reserve.
1. One day before needing the soup, wash and soak the dried chick peas in water, fully cover the beans, soak for 12 hours in refrigerator.
2. Drain the beans and cook in 2 qts. of water for about 1 hour or until soft and cooked. Set aside.
3. Saute the onion, garlic, bay leaf in a 4 qt. sauce pot.
4. Add the rice when the onions are translucent and sauté with the oregano.
5. When rice is sautéed, add the stock, turkey, green chiles and jicama to the sauce pot.
6. Season with chile powder, salt and crushed black pepper.
7. Bring to a boil and then simmer for approximately 20 minutes.
8. Ladle the soup into a large tureen or individual bowls. Garnish with the diced cheese, cilantro, pepitas and pine nuts.
9. Add the fried tortillas to the top of the soup or serve on the side.
Adapted from Time Life: American Cooking, The Great West. 1971