Skillet Cracklin’ Cornbread with Honey & Butter
- 1/4 cup pork cracklins
- 1 ear fresh corn
- 1 small jalapeño
- 5 tablespoons bacon drippings (or melted butter), divided
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons honey
METHOD (Total time: 45 minutes - makes 9 servings)
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Place cracklins in food processor bowl; pulse until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs; set aside. Remove husk and silk from corn; slice kernels off cob (1 cup) into medium bowl. Scrape cob with back of knife to release remaining juices. Finely chop jalapeño (remove seeds and membrane if desired).
2. Preheat 10-inch cast iron skillet on medium-high 2- 3 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon bacon drippings, corn kernels, and jalapeño to skillet. Cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, then remove corn mixture from pan. Add 2 more tablespoons bacon drippings to same skillet and place in oven.
3. Combine in large bowl: corn mixture, cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda until blended. Stir in buttermilk, eggs, and remaining 2 tablespoons bacon drippings until batter forms. Carefully remove skillet from oven and spoon batter evenly into skillet; bake 15 18 minutes or until golden and center is set.
4. Melt butter and honey in small saucepan over medium; whisk to combine. Pour honey mixture evenly over hot cornbread and sprinkle with cracklin. Allow to cool 10 minutes before serving.
Total Time - 10 minutes (Makes 16 servings)
- 4- 5 large strawberries
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks), softened
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup honey
1. Hull strawberries, and coarsely chop (1/2 cup). Combine in large bowl: butter, salt, and honey. Whip with electric hand mixer until combined and fluffy.
2. Add strawberries and mix 1- 2 minutes or until butter is pink and strawberries are distributed evenly; serve.
Copyright 2021 WCTV. All rights reserved.