FSU PD: Florida High lockdown threat ‘not credible’

Published: Feb. 1, 2021 at 2:09 PM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

TALLAHASSEE, Fla (WCTV) - Florida High was on lockdown for hours Monday afternoon, after the school received a “concerning” phone call to the school’s front office, according to FSU PD.

Several parents contacted WCTV seeking more information about a possible bomb threat at the school. FSU Police spokesman LT John Baker confirmed that a man placed a “concerning” phone call to Florida High Monday morning around 11:15 a.m.

In a later coversation with WCTV, Lt. Baker described the call as “not really credible” from the beginning, but both administration and police took multiple steps out of an abundance of caution.

In addition to the lockdown, which left students in their place for over two and a half hours, FSU PD brought in extra officers.

According to LT. Baker, the threat wasn’t credible enough to warrant an extensive search through campus buildings. The lockdown was lifted once authorities felt it was safe to do so, he said.

The school did not issue a statement to parents until after students had been dismissed for the day. Some parents, like Sarah Sims, wished the school had been more forthcoming.

“My daughter texted me at one point saying ‘Mama, I’m scared. I hear people talking. I love you and I don’t know what’s going to happen’,” Sims recalled.

“I was very shocked at the lack of communication because Florida High is on top of letting parents know everything,” she said.

Sims said she appreciated the eventual statement, but wished it had come sooner. She loves the Florida High community, and said she didn’t want to talk bad about a school she thinks of fondly.

In the statement posted to Facebook, the school director indicated that information couldn’t be shared with parents until it was safe to do so.

FSUS Families- Today, we are sheltered in place due to a bomb threat that was phoned into FSUS. We are grateful that...

Posted by Florida State University Schools - FSUS on Monday, February 1, 2021

Lt. Baker said multiple factors are considered when it comes to sending out mass communications about threats. The ultimate goal, he said, is to keep the peace and not unnecessarily concern parents.

Lt.Baker said the investigation is ongoing as officers work to trace the call. School is expected to resume as planned Tuesday, he said.

Copyright 2021 WCTV. All rights reserved.