Advertisement

Dog dies in Crossway Road fire, Tallahassee family displaced

tallahassee fire department
tallahassee fire department(WCTV)
Published: May. 3, 2021 at 12:42 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WCTV) - The Tallahassee Fire Department says a family’s dog died in a fire on Crossway Road Sunday night. The fire, which happened at a home in the 700 block of Crossway Road, displaced the family of six.

TFD says it received a 911 call about the house fire at 9:39 p.m. Sunday. When crews arrived on the scene, they found smoke and fire in the kitchen.

“Crews began an aggressive attack and had the fire out within 30 minutes,” the press release says.

Firefighters managed to rescue one of the two family dogs; however, the other succumbed to injuries it sustained in the fire.

The Leon County Sheriff’s Office, City of Tallahassee Utilities and Leon County EMS all responded with TFD to the fire. Members of the Red Cross helped the family at the scene as well

TFD provided three tips to help prevent accidental kitchen fires:

  • Keep an eye on what you fry.
  • Turn pot handles toward the back of the stove so no one can bump them or pull them over.
  • Move things that can burn, like kitchen towels, away from the stove.

Copyright 2021 WCTV. All rights reserved.