Creme Brulee a L’Orange by Chef Levi
- 1 navel orange
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1-quart heavy cream
- 9 large eggs
- 1/3 cup + 8 tablespoons sugar
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Zest orange (1 tablespoon). Combine in medium saucepot: orange zest, orange and vanilla extracts, and cream until blended. Bring to a simmer over medium (do not boil).
2. Separate eggs for yolks (reserve whites for another use). Whisk egg yolks and 1/3 cup sugar in large mixing bowl until blended. Slowly whisk simmering cream into egg mixture until blended and emulsified.
3. Strain mixture, then use a ladle to pour 6 oz custard into individual ramekins. Place ramekins in a roasting pan and fill pan with hot water that comes halfway up sides of ramekins. Bake 40 minutes, until custard is set. Remove ramekins from oven and roasting pan; chill.
4. Before serving, sprinkle each ramekin with 1 tablespoon of remaining sugar. Use a torch to burn sugar and serve.
Copyright 2021 WCTV. All rights reserved.