Atlanta flights to and from Tallahassee International Airport resume

By: Mariel Carbone | WCTV Eyewitness News
December 18, 2017

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WCTV) -- It’s business as usual at the Tallahassee International Airport after flights were cancelled due to a massive power outage at the Atlanta airport.

Hundreds of flights were affected Sunday through Monday, with flights to and from Atlanta grounded. The first flight out of Tallahassee to Atlanta left around 11 a.m. Monday. The first flight arriving from Atlanta came in around 12:30 p.m.

Tallahassee resident Cathy Dunbar was among those stranded in Atlanta.

"It was the most bizarre thing I've ever experienced,” said Dunbar.

In total, it took her and her husband about 24 hours to make the typically short trip from Atlanta to Tallahassee. When the power went out, she said she immediately thought the worst.

"And nobody tells you anything,” she said.

Dunbar and her husband were evacuated and made to stand in the rain for two hours in Atlanta. Ultimately, they were moved to a different terminal, where they spent the night.

"We got on the floor, couldn't do it. Had to get up. So we pretty much walked all night. So we haven't been to bed,” said Dunbar.

Passengers were also stranded in Tallahassee as flight after flight was cancelled Sunday night.

Maureen Corcoran was traveling from Tampa to Hartford, Connecticut. Her flight was diverted to Tallahassee. She spent the night in a hotel using a voucher from Delta and returned to the airport hoping to get on a 7 a.m. flight on Monday.

That flight was cancelled too.

"We're told to get in line for a refund, for this flight, so we all just got into another line. And then people of course started to look for an alternative flight from other airports. And renting cars,” she said.

As flights started running again on Monday, tired travelers began arriving back in Tallahassee.

"We're here 24 hours later, but it's still good. We're here. What a relief,” said passenger Elizabeth Davis.

Davis was traveling from Phoenix to Atlanta to Tallahassee. She was stuck on the tarmac for two hours in Arizona and was ultimately forced to get a hotel room for the night.

Many were just thankful to finally reach their destination.

"I want to go home and take a shower and take a nap. I'm very tired, and I'm ready to be home,” said Dunbar.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus