Bond denied for Tallahassee Uber driver charged with kidnapping

By  | 

By: WCTV Eyewitness News
September 24, 2018

Destiny Green

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WCTV) -- An Uber driver accused of kidnapping a college student will remain in jail without bond.

Destiny Green made a first appearance in Leon County court Monday morning. Medical staff told the judge the 30-year-old suffers from schizophrenia and stopped taking her medicine in January.

Judge Nina Ashenafi Richardson ordered Green to remain in jail until she has resumed taking her medicine.

"It's too early for this court to be comfortable releasing you, OK?" the judge told Green. “There will have to be some more assurances where you are, what your state of mind is and how you're going to be able to care for yourself, OK?"

The judge also ordered Green to not resume driving for hire until the case is resolved. Uber has already terminated Green.

Green's public defender argued she was not guilty of kidnapping.

Green was arrested on September 19 after police say she held a woman against her will. The woman finally jumped from Green’s moving vehicle to escape.

The scene unfolded in the early morning hours at the intersection of North Magnolia Drive and Miccosukee Road.

The victim told police she was taking Green's Uber home from an event, felt uncomfortable and asked to be dropped off, but the driver refused. She says Green then said she was going to take her to the hospital and refused her repeated requests to be let out of the car.

The victim said she felt in fear for her life and could not find the lock for the car's back doors to get out. She called a friend, then called 911, before rolling down the back window and jumping out of the car, suffering injuries to her legs.

Green denied that the victim had ever asked to be let out of the vehicle and continued to claim that it was the victim's idea to go to the hospital.

The police report says Green "made out of context comments and appeared paranoid."

During the arrest, Green said she was in pain and asked to be taken to the hospital. After being medically cleared, officers say Green admitted to trying to be admitted to the hospital for an extended period of time.

An Uber spokesperson said, "What this rider reported to police is troubling. We have removed the driver from the app and stand ready to support the police investigation."

The spokesperson says they removed Green's access as soon as they were made aware of the situation, and have reached out to the victim to offer support.

The spokesperson added that they also want to remind riders of the emergency button built into the app that connects users to calling 911.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus