Easy-to-make meals during power outages
September 4, 2016
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WCTV) -- It's no secret that inclement weather can bring unexpected results. Rebecca Weaver with Fresh Little Garden spoke with WCTV and gave us some
ideas for MRE's (meals ready to eat) for your family if you are still without power.
Meals that are high in protein and fiber will help sustain your family's energy and provide the nourishment they need. So whether you're on an outdoor adventure or hunkering down for a storm, these prepackaged non-perishable meals will keep your family going strong... no refrigeration required!
1) When choosing items, select foods that are high in vitamins and minerals. Avoid overly processed foods which don't provide proper nourishment.
- Prepackaged Nut mixes
- 100% all natural juice pouches (look for fruit/vegetable blends)
- Horizon prepackaged non-perishable milk
- Coconut water (contains necessary electrolytes)
- Fruit cups in 100% juice
- Vegetable cups (looks just like a fruit cup and can be found in canned vegetable isle)
- Small prepackaged cereal and oatmeal cups
- Organic canned soup varieties
- Canned chicken or tuna in water
- Whole fruits and vegetables that don't require refrigeration such as apples, pears, oranges, bananas, broccoli, carrots, peppers, etc.
- Canned beans
- All natural Cereal and granola bars
2) Use quart sized resealable bags to pre-portion food for your family. Write the date you prepared the package as well as the date of the food item that will expire first on the package.
Here are some ideas:
Package one packet oatmeal, one small bottle of water (for oatmeal) and one juice pouch. Optional: an organic 100% natural fruit strip
Package one individual box cereal with a Horizon milk box and an orange
One can tuna in water, one vegetable cup, 1 package wheat crackers, and 1 fruit cup
1 can chicken, 1 package cut baby carrots, 1 apple
1 can chicken, 1 can black beans, 1 corn vegetable cup, 1 flour tortilla, 1 small salsa package. Heat ingredients in pan on the grill and assemble for a great burrito!
- Fruit snacks
- Granola / cereal bars
- Cliff bars
- Prepackaged nuts
- Crackers with peanut, almond, or sun butter
- Whole fruits /fruit cups