1 dead, 1 hospitalized in explosion at Taylor County plant

Published: Sep. 14, 2018 at 11:27 AM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
By: WCTV Eyewitness News

September 14, 2018

PERRY, Fla. (WCTV) -- The Taylor County Sheriff's Office says a woman is dead and a man has been airlifted to the hospital following an explosion at a manufacturing plant this morning.

Perry Police Chief Jamie Cruse says the incident happened Friday morning at a production building on the property of AMTEC Less-Lethal Systems, Inc., located at 4700 Providence Road in an unincorporated area of the Taylor County.

The Taylor County Sheriff's Office, Perry Police Department and Perry Fire Department responded to the scene around 10 a.m.

Authorities say the explosion was isolated to a single building and the area is now secure. We're told there is no danger to any other people on site at this time.

A city official says there were only two people in the immediate area at the time of the explosion, one of whom was killed and the other was taken to the hospital by Life-Flight with life-threatening injuries.

TCSO says the facility was very smoky and foggy and had terrible odor when crews first entered the building where the explosion happened, inside the managing facility.

Authorities have not yet identified the victims, pending notification of family members.

Taylor County Sheriff Wayne Padgett described the situation as a "horrible accident," adding that the incident remains under investigation.

According to the company's website, AMTEC's facilities encompass 545 acres and approximately 50,000 square feet of manufacturing and training facilities. The company manufactures items such as rubber bullets, bean bag munitions, smoke grenades, stun grenades, door breaching grenades, tactical gear and pepper sprays.

We reached out to AMTEC Less-Lethal Systems, Inc. about the incident, a representative said they have no comment at this time.

A Perry city official said in a statement to WCTV, "Our hearts and prayers go out to the deceased, the injured, and their families and loved ones. The cause of the incident remains under investigation. Since the event was outside the city limits, the city will not likely be further involved."

The State Fire Marshal's Office was also notified and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives is continuing to investigate.

We will bring you more information as it becomes available.