Florida teen dies of burns from 2017 New Year's Eve bonfire

By  | 

By: Associated Press
May 12,2019

FORT PIERCE, Fla. (AP) - A Florida teenager who was severely burned when she attempted to pour gasoline on a 2017 New Year's Eve bonfire has died.

News outlets reported Saturday that the mother of 16-year-old Layne Chesney announced her death on social media. The girl lived 16 months after she was burned over 95 percent of her body.

Authorities say Chesney was sitting by the bonfire when she picked up a can of gasoline to fuel the fire. The can exploded in her hands, engulfing her in flames.

Doctors initially gave her only a 1 percent chance of survival. She endured about 200 surgeries and medical procedures.

Chesney was a softball standout, leading the Jensen Beach Wildcats to the 2017 Babe Ruth World Series and getting attention from college coaches when she was injured.



 
Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus