Man arrested following SWAT standoff in Havana

By  | 

By: Lanetra Bennett | WCTV Eyewitness News
December 28, 2017

HAVANA, Fla. (WCTV) -- A Gadsden County home was the scene of a standoff with deputies Thursday.

Law enforcement was called to Treebark Court, a small road at the end of Wayside Farm Road, off Highway 27 in Havana.

It was a frightening situation for those living in the neighborhood as dozens of SWAT members and other law enforcement officers swarmed the area.

"We normally do not have this type of problem out here," said Ned Campbell, a nearby resident.

Neighbors say they noticed the high-powered weapons, protective gear and heavy artillery vehicles.

One woman said, "It was a little scary. We went home and locked the door. I kept walking out to see if anything had happened yet, if they had left."

The Gadsden County Sheriff's Office says John Clayton Partin barricaded himself in the home because of a warrant out of Levy County.

Maj. Shawn Wood with GCSO said, "The only thing he said is he wasn't guilty. That was one of the reasons why we told him that's all the more reason not to have this situation and that's why you have your day in court."

Authorities say Partin's wife was in the home with him before authorities arrived, but she managed to escape and call for help.

After a nearly four-hour standoff, Maj. Wood says negotiators were able to talk Partin out of the house.

"He didn't come out with a weapon. But, we were advised earlier that he did have one. But when he came out, he came out peacefully," Maj. Wood said.

"I came out here and just found everything in turmoil," Campbell said.

He was relieved the turmoil eventually turned into tranquility.

Campbell said, "I think everybody did their job well, especially the SWAT team. I saw they're still here. I'm just happy it turned out this way."

Partin was taken into custody without incident and no injuries were reported. Partin's bond is listed at $910,000.

Gadsden County was assisted by Leon County Sheriff's Office and the Florida Highway Patrol.

By: Aubrey Brown | WCTV Eyewitness News
December 28, 2017

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WCTV) -- A man was taken into custody without incident following a SWAT situation in the area of Wayside Farm Road off Highway 27.

The Gadsden County Sheriff's Office's tactical unit responded to the area around 8 a.m. Thursday.

Officials say 49-year-old John Clayton Partin barricaded himself and his wife inside of a home off a road near the end of Wayside Farm Road. Partin's wife eventually escaped from the home and called authorities.

Negotiators were able to talk Partin out of the house around 11:45 a.m. He was taken into custody without incident. According to a GCSO booking list, Partin is being held on $910,000 bond.

The Leon County Sheriff's Office assisted with the SWAT situation.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus