MMJ / Breaking News Specialist
Gray Television supports local community interests by providing quality television broadcasting and exceptional service in each market we serve. We own and operate leading media outlets in over 50 markets throughout the country – all delivering the news, weather, sports and entertainment that millions of our neighbors count on every day. We are an unmatched broadcast pioneer that keeps getting bigger and better. We constantly strive for excellence. Through upgrading to the latest technology and seeking new ways to stay on top in our markets, we focus on training and development of the best and brightest employees in the business.
WCTV Eyewitness News, the dominant #1 station in North Florida & South Georgia, is in search of an experienced MMJ / Reporter who can serve as our Breaking News Specialist. The right candidate will thrive on the pivot-- leaving the best plans behind to chase a "happening now" lead story. We believe in big, showcased coverage on our broadcast and digital platforms, and so should you. Every day, our journalists strive to produce memorable moments, with targeted content featuring unforgettable characters and unprecedented access. Give our live stream a watch before you apply, you’ll see what we mean.
Tallahassee is a vibrant city, and some of the most desirable beaches are just about an hour away. Here, you’ll travel up and down hilly canopy roads, lined with Live Oaks and Spanish moss. Tallahassee is a haven for cyclists, with numerous bike trails nearby.
We are recruiting a seasoned story teller, who can confidently file multiple adlibbed live reports across our top rated early evening and late evening newscasts.
This journalist will seamlessly update breaking stories across all platforms, committing to our newsroom SOP: Break news on Digital, Push it on Social, and add Emotion and Texture on Television.
The right candidate will have an established brand and style as a multi-media journalist gathering, writing and shooting his or her own stories. The right candidate will be a newsroom leader, helping establish visual and story-telling best practices in a Digital First environment.
Our newsroom is focused on delivering emotionally centered stories driven by memorable characters and video. You should value community relationships, allowing you to make the pitch before the news release. Our next MMJ will have a demonstrated track record of developing strong sources, as we believe strong sources result in strong pitches.
- Shooting, writing and editing daily content for newscasts and website.
- Demonstrated track record of compelling live reporting, including breaking, planned and feature coverage
- Operating portable live unit, and conducting live shots from the field
- Generating story ideas and building local contacts
- Performing other duties as assigned by management.
- 2+ years as a MMJ in a television newsroom
- Track Record of multiple live reports across a daypart
- BS/BA in journalism or communications, computer literacy, including newsroom computer systems
- Knowledge of North Florida, South Georgia communities, issues, and coverage opportunities
- A valid driver`s license, good driving record and proof of insurability.
WCTV is a Drug Free and Equal Opportunity Workplace. Gray Television Participates in E-Verify.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Please apply online at