Gadsden County man charged in pool hall murder, victim's family speaks out

By  | 

By: Lanetra Bennett | WCTV Eyewitness News
September 19, 2017

Bradley Joel Lewis

CHATTAHOOCHEE, Fla. (WCTV) -- Family and friends held a candle light vigil last week after Frank Owens was killed. The R.I.P. sign and candles are still sitting in front of the front door at the pool hall, in memory of a man loved ones say died senselessly.

Owens, 66, was killed September 13 around 10 p.m. at Tata's Pool Hall at 704 Lincoln Drive in Chattahoochee.

Alesha Green says she'd just passed by the pool hall.

She headed back when she got a call ten minutes later that her uncle had been shot.

"I could see them pulling him out on the gurney. I was like, 'Somebody needs to go to the hospital with him. That's my uncle. I want to get in there to go to the hospital with him.' The man said 'no.'" Green said.

Owens' family says he was there the night he was killed cleaning the pool hall to make some cash.

Chattahoochee Police say he was sweeping when three armed men came in telling everyone to get on the floor.

Officers say a patron got into a fight with one of the suspects. Then another patron hit a second suspect with a pool cue.

They say that's when the remaining suspect shot Owens with an AK-47 style rifle.

Owens' niece, Clara Collins, said, "He didn't have to die that way. I never thought he would die this way. I thought maybe he would die of old age or something; not by somebody just killing him over something stupid."

Police say the suspects left their stolen getaway car a half mile away from the pool hall.

Twenty-seven-year-old Bradley Lewis was arrested three days later.

That's not enough for Owens' family.

"I want all of them to be punished, not just one person. I want all of them to be punished for it. It ain't like he had something you could take from him. But, you did take something from us. You took our uncle," said, Alice Colston, one of Owens' nieces.

Owens' youngest sister, Annette Dawson, said, "That's just a pat on the hand when they to prison because they still get to live their life. They're still living, they're still breathing. They get to eat, they get to sleep. My brother don't get to do any of that anymore. He is gone from this earth. He is gone."

The other two suspects are still at large. Anyone with any information is asked to call police.

The wake for Frank Owens is Friday from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. at Moultry Funeral Home. The funeral is Saturday at 11 a.m. at Bethel Church in Chattahoochee.

By: Amy Robinson | WCTV Eyewitness News
September 18, 2017

CHATTAHOOCHEE, Fla. (WCTV) -- A man has been arrested in connection to an armed robbery and murder in Chattahoochee.

The Chattahoochee Police Department says the incident happened around 10 p.m. on September 13. Police say three armed black males entered Tata's Pool Hall on Lincoln Drive and demanded everyone to get down on the floor. Six patrons were inside the business at the time.

Authorities say two of the men were armed with handguns and one was armed with an AK-47 style rifle. Police say two of the suspects had their faces covered.

As the suspects were robbing the victims, a physical altercation broke out between one of the patrons and a suspect, who was pointing a gun at the patron's head. A second patron jumped in and hit one of the other suspects with a pool cue. The third suspect, who was holding the AK-47 style rifle, then shot and killed one of the patrons.

Police identified the victim as 66-year-old Frank Owens, a lifelong resident of Chattahoochee.

Following the shooting, the suspects immediately fled the scene in a black 2015 Chrysler 200. Police later located the abandoned vehicle about a half-mile away from the pool hall. A revolver was also recovered near the vehicle. Police determined that the vehicle had been reported stolen from Tallahassee earlier in the day.

The suspects were not located.

Following an investigation, on Saturday, the Chattahoochee Police Department arrested 27-year-old Bradley Joel Lewis in connection to the case. Lewis, of Gretna, is facing charges of armed robbery and second degree murder.

The two remaining suspects remain at large.

The Chattahoochee Police Department is continuing to investigate the case, with assistance from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and the Gadsden County Sheriff's Office.

Anyone with information on the investigation is asked to call Chattahoochee Police.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus