Tallahassee is a thriving sports market, and our viewers are hungry for sports journalism. FSU, FAMU, VSU and UGA are core drivers-- and not just football. There are countless men’s and women’s sports we cover. We also want to double down on stories from our local high schools, showcasing the hundreds of young athletes in our viewing area.
This position isn't about reading highlights, or filling obligatory sports segments. Prompter readers won't be happy with the direction we are heading. This is an opportunity for someone who is excited to see the possible.
Our primary goal is to build a team of sports journalists who thrive on story-telling, and fight for opportunities to break news and tell lead stories live at the top of our newscasts. Our Sports Director will be just as motivated producing hyperlocal, people-centered, visually-dynamic, packaged sports stories, as s/he is with traveling to cover post season play for high school and college teams.
The right candidate will be an organized newsroom leader who can help motivate people and cultivate content. You’ll work side-by-side with news managers to develop on-air and online coverage plans. You’ll be expected to break news on digital and social before you go on-camera.
Most importantly, you’ll be comfortable challenging the status quo and increasing accountability through positive interaction.
- Shoot & edit daily sports content for multiple newscasts and digital properties as an MMJ
- Maintain a sports daybook, including actionable enterprise topics, preplanned events, and high school & college matchups
- Develop and grow sources to effectively report and break sports news with local high school, college, and regional professional teams.
- Collaborate with Producing, Reporting and Technical Staff to ensure sports stories as compelling as possible.
- Operate portable live units, and conduct clean, engaging live reports from the field
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of SEC, ACC & MEAC players and coaches
- Produce content for newscast replacement specials, targeted special reporters, and extended preps coverage
- Perform other duties as assigned by management
- BS/BA in journalism or communications, computer literacy, including newsroom computer systems.
- Working knowledge of MMJ camera and editing gear, and TVU live technology
- Ability to tell the sports story on camera, with written copy, and through social interaction
- A valid driver`s license, good driving record and proof of insurability.
- Minimum three (3) years’ experience as a sports anchor or reporter in a commercial newsroom
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Please apply online at
Gray Television provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Gray Television complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Gray Television expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of [Company Name]’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.