Advertisement

Police: Woman killed was overcome by fumes from chemicals

(WCTV)
Published: Dec. 1, 2016 at 4:42 PM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
By: Lanetra Bennett

December 2, 2016

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WCTV) -- Police continue investigating after an unusual scene at a local craft store. The owner of that store was killed by chemical exposure.

Police say toxic fumes killed one woman and sickened several others.

We spoke to a witness Friday who told us that he went looking for the woman after noticing a strong chemical smell coming from the Flying Unicorn craft store, and ultimately found her passed out inside the store.

The witness says he and others started feeling faint after smelling chemicals around 11 a.m. Thursday.

He eventually called the landlord of the plaza, then he and the landlord went inside the business.

He said there, they saw a sign on the bathroom door that read, "Poisonous Inside." Fearing for the woman's safety, they opened the door and spotted her on the floor.

Danielle White was a nearby customer who was evacuated once authorities arrived.

"Her dying was just, it was just like a scare. So, I'm glad that somebody actually was able to find her because it could've been much more devastating than it really was. It's very, very, very sad. So, I'm praying for the family of the victim and everybody else that was involved,” White said.

The witness says he, the landlord who found the woman, the witness's wife, and a nearby business manager were all treated for chemical exposure.

Authorities have identified the woman as 48-year-old Ada Skvereckas.

The Tallahassee Police Department says the initial investigation appears to show Skvereckas was using industrial chemicals inside the business when she was overcome by the fumes. The final cause of death will not be determined until the results from the autopsy are in, which was performed Friday.


By: WCTV Eyewitness News

December 2, 2016

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WCTV) -- Tallahassee Police are continuing to investigate a hazmat situation that left a woman dead on Thursday afternoon.

TPD says, based on the initial investigation, it appears 48-year-old Ada Skvereckas was using industrial chemicals inside the Flying Unicorn craft store when she was overcome by the fumes. She later passed away at a local hospital.

Officials say the final cause of death will not be determined until the toxicology results are returned from the autopsy, which was performed Friday.

Two others were hospitalized in the incident and were last listed in stable condition.

Officials say the hazmat team found a hydrogen sulfate-type cleaner in a spray bottle at the scene.

Hydrogen sulfate is extremely corrosive. The National Institute of Health says breathing it in can cause choking, chest pains and shortness of breath.

TPD says the case has been assigned to an investigator for a full follow up and they are processing evidence and interviewing all known witnesses. Anyone with information about this case is asked to call TPD at (850) 891-4200 or if they wish to remain anonymous, please call Crime Stoppers at (850) 574-TIPS.


By: Erin Lisch

December 1, 2016

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WCTV) -- A woman has died after toxic fumes filled a craft store in Tallahassee on Thursday afternoon.

The Tallahassee Police Department confirms that 48-year-old Ada Skvereckas succumbed to chemical exposure and passed away at a local hospital.

Officials say Skvereckas one of five people exposed to toxic fumes around 2:30 p.m. at the Flying Unicorn craft store on Capital Circle SE, just north of Apalachee Parkway.

Two people were treated on scene, and two others remain hospitalized in stable condition.

Officials say the hazmat team found a hydrogen sulfate-type cleaner in a spray bottle.

Hydrogen sulfate is extremely corrosive. The National Institute of Health says breathing it in can cause choking, chest pains and shortness of breath.

Tallahassee Fire Department’s Mike Bellamy said, "I'm telling you, being out here at the scene, I could pick up some of that odor several hundred feet away from the actual business itself. I can suspect that was very concentrated in that room."

TPD took over this investigation from the Tallahassee Fire Department.

TPD Investigators are continuing to process evidence and interview all known witnesses. They are asking anyone with information about this tragedy to please contact them at (850) 891-4200 or via Crime Stoppers at (850) 574-TIPS.


By: WCTV Eyewitness News

December 1, 2016

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WCTV) -- Three people were taken to the hospital following a hazmat situation in Tallahassee on Thursday afternoon.

Emergency crews responded to the Flying Unicorn craft store at 1168 Capital Circle SE around 2:30 p.m. in response to a report of a suspicious smell.

Officials say five people became sick from the fumes.

Two of those people were treated at the scene and the other three were taken to the hospital.

Of the three hospitalized, officials say two are in stable condition and one person is in critical condition.

Officials say the hazmat team found a hydrogen sulfate-type cleaner in a spray bottle.

Crews are working to turn the scene over to the Tallahassee Police Department and are continuing to ventilate the building.

We will bring you more information as it becomes available.