Dozens of seniors evacuated after fire in Valdosta

By  | 

By: Emma Wheeler | WCTV Eyewitness News
June 27, 2019

VALDOSTA, Ga. (WCTV) -- Dozens of seniors in Valdosta are out of their homes after an overnight fire.

Residents were woken up in the middle of the night after a fire broke out at a subsidized apartment complex for seniors. Crews were called out to the Azalea Towers shortly after 1:00 am. Fire officials said when they arrived, flames and smoke could be seen coming out of a room on the third floor.

Property staff said the entire building was evacuated, about sixty residents. They were taken to a temporary shelter organized by Lowndes County Emergency Management.

Local emergency officials are working with the Red Cross to find longer term housing for the residents.

"Because of the age of the population we're working with, it's making sure we've got their medications in place. We've got them in a comfortable place, providing them with that comfort because a lot of these residents have not had a lot of sleep because of the fire, so we just want to make sure they're in a safe place," said Andy Brubaker, Red Cross Executive Director.

Emergency officials said they expect residents to be out of their homes for at least a few days, however those living further away from the third floor room could move in sooner.

Fire officials are still working on investigating the exact cause of the fire, but said they do believe it to be the result of smoking.

By: WCTV Eyewitness News
June 27, 2019

VALDOSTA, Ga. (WCTV) -- The Valdosta Fire Department responded to an overnight fire at Azalea Towers on Tara Drive early Thursday morning.

VFD says they received a call at 1:15 a.m. and arrived to the scene within six minutes.

Officials say once on the scene, firefighters found smoke and flames coming out of a third-floor window.

Authorities say the fire was quickly extinguished but led to the evacuation of nearly 60 residence.

VFD says the displaced residents were provided with temporary shelter at Morningside Baptist Church and one resident was transported to the hospital for further evaluation, but officials did not specify what for.

According to officials, an investigation into the fire is ongoing but preliminary indications are that the fire was a result of smoking.