Worker dead after shock at Florida distillery

By  | 

By: Associated Press
June 23, 2017

AUBURNDALE, Fla. (AP) -- A worker has died from apparent electrocution at a Florida distillery.

33-year-old Aaron Rowe was shocked Wednesday at Florida Caribbean Distillers in Auburndale.

Authorities say Rowe was trying to fix a conveyor belt and had appeared to turn off the power. But, a wire connected to the motor was live, and officials say the lock-out system used to shut off power was affixed to the wrong circuit breaker.

A report from the Polk County Sheriff's Office says Rowe was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital about an hour after being shocked.

An autopsy will determine an official cause of death. The federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration is investigating the incident.

Established in 1943, Florida Caribbean Distillers makes rums, whiskeys and fruit cordials.



 
Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus