4 lbs. Yukon Gold potatoes
2 sticks (8oz.) butter, room temperature
1 1/2 c. heavy cream
2 lbs. grated gruyere, or any good melting cheese
1 lb. fresh mozzarella, drained and grated
Salt and pepper to taste
DirectionsServes 8 to 10
1. Peel the potatoes and cut into 1-inch cubes. Place the potatoes in a 4-quart pot and cover with cool water.
2. Cover the pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, uncover and reduce the heat slightly to maintain a simmer. Cook the potatoes until they are fork tender, about 15 minutes.
3. Drain the potatoes and cool for about 5 minutes. Use a food mill, potato masher, or ricer to finely mash the potatoes. Return the pureed potatoes to the pot.
4. Return the pot to medium heat. Add the butter and cream, and stir until melted.
5. Add the gruyere and mozzarella and beat into the potatoes with a wooden spoon. Put some muscle into it until the cheese and potatoes come together and have a stringy, elastic texture.
6. Season with salt and pepper as needed and serve warm.
Cook ahead tip: You can cook and puree the potatoes up to 2 days in advance. Reheat them over low heat until warm before adding the cream, butter, and cheeses. Additionally, you can keep your dish in a crock pot on warm setting for up to 2 hours if you are serving it for a party.