Makes 4 servings
1/4 C. Unsalted Butter
1/4 C. All Purpose Flour
1 1/2 C. Whole Milk
2 Tbsp. Whole Grain Mustard
1/2 tsp. Ground Nutmeg
1/2 lb. Creamy Cheese; Mozzarella, Monterey Jack, Swiss; optional
8 slices 1/2”-thick country style bread
6 oz. Ham, about 8 slices
3 oz. Gruyere, grated
1 tsp. Herbs de Provence
1. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat until foamy.
2. Add flour and cook, stirring, until mixture is pale and foamy, about 3 minutes.
3. Gradually add milk, stirring until mixture is smooth.
4. Cook, stirring, until sauce is thick and somewhat elastic, about 4 minutes.
5. Remove from the heat and whisk in mustard, nutmeg, and cheese if using. Season with salt and white pepper.
1. Preheat the oven to 425F.
2. Spread bread slices with bechamel, dividing evenly and extending all the way to the edges.
3. Place 4 slices of bread, bechamel side up, on a parchment lined baking sheet; top with ham and half of cheese.
4. Top with remaining slices of bread, bechamel side up, then top with remaining cheese and sprinkle with herbs de Provence.
5. Bake until cheese is brown and bubbling, 10-15 minutes.
Do Ahead Tips
The bechamel can be made 1 day ahead. Let cool, press plastic wrap directly onto the surface, and chill.
Sandwiches can be assembled and placed in a pan, but not baked, 1 day ahead. Cover, and chill until needed.