• 5-6 cloves of garlic, chopped
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• ½ tsp salt
• 1 tsp oregano
• 1 tsp chili flakes (omit if sensitive to spice)
• 4 oz tuna, drained
• 15 oz can chickpeas and/or green peas, drained and rinsed
• 28 oz can crushed or diced tomatoes
• 1 lb dry whole wheat pasta
• Lemon zest
• Optional: grated Parmesan, parsley or capers to garnish
Directions1. Cook pasta to package instructions, then drain and set aside.
2. In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat, then add garlic and spices and cook for 1 minute.
3. Flake tuna into saucepan with a fork, stir and heat with garlic and spices for an additional 2 minutes.
4. Add drained chickpeas (or green peas) to the sauce pan and stir until heated through, about 1-2 minutes.
5. Pour crushed or diced tomatoes into sauce pan and stir, bringing sauce up to a simmer for 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Add a squeeze of lemon or vinegar for extra zippiness. Stir lemon zest into sauce.
6. Gradually add pasta to the sauce and toss together until the sauce coats the pasta to your preference level. You may have some plain pasta left over.
7. Add optional grated Parmesan, parsley and/or capers before serving.