• 2 cups mini chocolate chips
• Gel food coloring (green, yellow and red)
• 1 package watermelon flavored gelatin powder mix (optional)
• 3 cups butter cream, separated
• Vanilla cake batter
• 2 tablespoons baking powder
• 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
• 3/4 tsp salt
• 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
• 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
• 3 large eggs, room temperature
• 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
• 1 cup milk, room temperature
Directions1. Preheat oven to 350º F. Grease 2 x 8” round pans.
2. Prepare cake: Follow baking instructions to mix butter and sugar. Cream well and add vanilla and egg. In a separate bowl, mix flour, salt and baking powder and add to mixer. Once well mixed, slowly add milk, then add watermelon gelatin flavor, if desired. This can also be done with a box cake mix.
3. Using red gel color (2 drops at a time) color the batter to the desired shade.
4. Add 1 ½ cups of chocolate chips and stir.
5. Pour into greased pan and bake for approximately 20 minutes. Once cooled, place in freezer for 1 to 2 hours, or overnight.
6. Color 1 cup of icing red and 2 cups with a lighter lime green (do this by adding 1 drop of green and 1 drop of yellow).
7. Ice top of cake in red then add chocolate chips. Use offset spatula to ice the sides in green. Pop in freezer for 15 minutes.
8. In a small bowl, use green gel food coloring mixes with 2 tablespoons of water and mix. Use a spoon or paintbrush to drip the dark green mixture down the sides of the cake to create a realistic look.
9. Place white icing in an icing bag or any plastic bag and cut a small hole. Line the outside of the cake using the white icing.