WCTV, the dominant #1 station in Tallahassee, is searching for our next Executive Producer. This newsroom leader is an essential member of our management team, working side-by-side with the Managing Editor and News Director. The Executive Producer must be as confident in the newsroom coaching talent and producers, as s/he is bringing dynamic, aggressively-produced, showcased television to life in an automated control room.
This position is very much about dreaming big, seeing the possible, and bringing it to life multiple times a day. We have an award-winning, brand new set, more live capability than ever, and veteran journalists working hard to be the best news operation in the region.
This is not a position for beginners. The right candidate will have a demonstrated track record of best practices, including solid broadcast writing, real-time management of live assets, and development of showcased “Strong 15” leads.
Our Executive Producer will also help us grow as a Digital First newsroom. Our approach is simple: Break news on Digital, Push it on Social, and add Emotion and Texture on TV. This newsroom mentor will coach other producers to be better journalists, focusing on writing, story treatment, and content engagement. S/he will also aggressively look for opportunities to include Happening Now, Breaking News, and News Alerts consistently in all dayparts.
Flexibility is essential. Our journalists wear many hats throughout the day. Working hours and schedule will vary, and duties will include producing newscasts as needed.
- Along with newsroom management, sets tone for look, pacing and flow of newscasts.
- Aggressively seeks opportunities to cover breaking news on all platforms
- Commits to giving each newscast different personalities by diversifying content
- Helps create newsroom Standard Operating Procedures to affect best practices across all dayparts.
- Ensures all stories are showcased appropriately, focusing on layered coverage, and using available elements, including maps, graphics, live pictures and video setups.
- Works with the production department to implement new technology
- Copy edits scripts to ensure accuracy, fairness and deliverability
- Works with Producers and Directors to stage special segments and in-studio guests
- Works with corporate Graphics hub to create customs graphics, opens and transitions.
- Inspires producers and directors to create “planned elements of surprise” during the newscast.
- Collaborates with other daypart leaders to create and showcase newsroom projects
- Helps supervises station Special Projects, including promotable stories, live remotes and pre-produced shows.
- Newsroom Management experience a plus
- Knowledge and demonstration of editorial judgment, journalistic ethics and libel laws.
- A demonstrated record of affecting change through positive interaction
- 2-3 years of newsroom producing experience, with a track record of strong showcasing, during top newscasts
WCTV is a Drug Free and Equal Opportunity Workplace. Gray Television Participates in E-Verify. For consideration please click the link below to be guided to the career page.
To apply go to: www.gray.tv/applynow