Eastpoint Man Survives Bear Attack

By  | 

UPDATED: October 24, 2015

It wasn't an ordinary day at the Sportsman’s Lodge and Hotel.

Charlie Griffin came face to face with a bear after checking the dumpster Friday.

"I done this and a bear came out of there, I couldn't get away from him," said Griffin.

He says the 400 pound bear popped out of the dumpster and ran him down.

"And the bear caught me right around here," as Griffin point’s out the spot.

Slashed by the bear on the arm, Charlie ran leaving bloody prints.

"I was heading back this way, and I slipped right here fell down here. and after I fell down the bear went back that way," said Griffin as he points where he fell behind the truck.

Getting away from the six foot bear, with only a few stitches.

Thankful Griffin said, "I didn't know whether I was going to live or not, ill tell you the truth, but I came through it."

The FWC did give a notice to the lodge to put a lock on the trash can so this doesn't happen again.

Bill Eaton who helps at the lodge said, "We're in the process of contacting waste pro and finding out why they don't have a locking dumpster back here that's their job."

Eastpoint, considered the midnight buffet for bears, who knows if it will come back.

"You never know what a bear's going to do," said Griffin.

October 24, 2015 - 12:30 pm

A person was attacked by a bear Friday in Eastpoint, Florida. The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission says the injuries are non life threatening.

The attack came the night before a controversial bear hunt in Florida. The state began it's first bear hunting season in 20 years this morning at 8am. Some supporters of the hunt say it would help reduce human and bear conflicts.

Check back for updates.

Press Release: FWC

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission is investigating an incident where a bear attacked a man in Eastpoint in Franklin County on Oct. 23 at 6:30 p.m. EST.

Charles Griffin was walking near the Sportsman’s Lodge Motel and Marina when he encountered a bear and sustained injuries.
Griffin transported himself to George E. Weems Memorial Hospital in Apalachicola with non life-threatening injuries. He was treated and released the same evening.

FWC law enforcement officers and biologists immediately responded to the scene and are conducting trapping efforts.

The FWC reminds residents in this area to be aware of their surroundings. The FWC relies on residents to report threatening bear behavior to the FWC Wildlife Alert Hotline at 888-404-FWCC (3922).

If you encounter a bear at close range, remain standing upright and speak to the bear in a calm, assertive voice. Back up slowly toward a secure area, and be sure you are leaving the bear a clear escape route. Stop and hold your ground if your movement away seems to irritate instead of calm the bear. Do not run or play dead. If a black bear attacks you, fight back aggressively.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus