Worker Rescued From 260 Feet In The Air

By  | 

Updated By: Kevin Clark
July 22, 2014 11pm

Crawfordville, FL - The worker was transported to Tallahassee Memorial Hospital in good spirits and in good condition.

"I want to thank the Tallahassee Fire Department for making sure this was a successful rescue for this young man," said Wakulla County Sheriff Charlie Creel.

By: Kevin Clark
July 22, 2014

Crawfordville, FL- A worker found himself stuck 260 feet in the air on Talquin Electric's microwave tower.

It took emergency workers more than three hours to rescue him.

Tallahassee Fire Department and Wakulla County Fire Rescue responded to the scene early this afternoon after the worker complained of heat exhaustion and was asking incoherent questions to two other workers on the ground.

After his hands started cramping, TFD began what was a three-hour rescue process. The worker was lowered to the ground with a harness and touched down at about 4:30 p.m.

The 20-year-old man was a contracted worker for Talquin Electric. He had been installing some equipment since 10 a.m. Tuesday morning.

News Release: TFD
July 22, 2014

At around 1:30 p.m., Wakulla County Fire Rescue was called out to a private contractor working on Talquin Electric’s microwave tower located at 681 Wakulla-Arran Rd in Wakulla County.

The worker began presenting with heat exhaustion symptoms while some 250 feet up the 350 foot tower and contacted his coworkers on the ground for help.

Fire officials with Wakulla County Fire Rescue arrived on the scene along with an off duty Tallahassee Fire Department Lieutenant and called for mutual aid from TFD.

Members of TFD's Urban Search and Rescue Team arrived at around 2:30 p.m. and climbed the tower to harness the patient in with safety gear and lower him to the ground.

He was transported in good condition and great spirits to Tallahassee Memorial Hospital for medical assessment.

TFD and WCFR were assisted at the scene by the Wakulla County Sheriff’s Department, Lifelight Tallahassee and representatives from Talquin Electric.

No other injuries were reported at the scene.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus