November 29, 2018
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Change is imminent for some gun owners. Sources tell CNN that the White House is getting ready to officially ban bump stocks.
"We are knocking out bump stocks. I have told the NRA, bump stocks are gone," President Donald Trump said.
President Trump first announced this plan shortly after last year's mass shooting in Las Vegas that claimed dozens of lives.
But despite bipartisan backing, it's been a long process.
"In order to eliminate -- terminate -- bump stocks, we have to go through a procedure. We are now at the final stages of that procedure," said President Trump.
Bump stocks allow semi-automatic weapons to fire rounds much quicker than usual. The Obama Administration concluded that bump stocks were a weapon accessory, and clear from federal regulation.
Not everyone will be in favor of this ban.
Mel "Dragonman" Bernstein, owner of DragonMan's Gun Range and Shop, said, "If you're a law-abiding citizen in America and you have a clean record, you should be able to own anything you want."
A source tells CNN that the new rule calls for giving bump stock owners 90 days to either destroy or turn in their devices.
"What should be banned is bad people," said gun dealer Kerry Phillips. "We the people have the right to protect ourselves and family even unto the shedding of blood."