Officials say space heater sparked Valdosta house fire

By  | 

By: WCTV Eyewitness News
February 13, 2019

VALDOSTA, Ga. (WCTV) -- A space heater sparked a fire at a Valdosta home on Tuesday, city officials say.

The Valdosta Fire Department responded to the house fire in the 1000 block of Nicholas Drive around 9:10 a.m. Tuesday.

At the scene, officials found heavy smoke and flames coming from the back of the house. Fire crews launched an aggressive attack to put out the blaze.

The only resident home at the time was able to escape, but was taken to the hospital for treatment due to possible smoke inhalation.

A Valdosta city spokesperson says the cause of the fire was determined to be an activated space heater placed too closely to combustible furniture in the bedroom.